Before some decades people used to leave school searching for job and live with the employer for the rest of their life where he gets a job to meet his personal needs. This happens even now. But it has become a common thing for people to take multiple jobs throughout their career or careers. Now the question comes, what are the differences between job and career?
What is the definition of career?
There are many definitions about career which are similar but have specific differences. Three of the most common and most prominent ones are discussed here.
- A profession or career requires special training which is followed as the lifework of one person.
- A career is undertaken for long period during a person’s life time,that has opportunities for promotion.
- A pursuit that enables one to get consecutive progressive achievement in professional life or public life or business life.
What is the definition of job?
There are various definitions about job which have the same theme.
- An employment full time / part time in a post
- Paid position in a regular employment
- A regular work that enables the person to earn money
Key differences between job and career
Job is a part time or full time employment a person does to make money.
An occupation is a profession followed by a person as his life work which requires some type of training.
- A job usually is a short term pursuit whereas a career is considered as a long pursuit
- A Job does not require any specialized skills or training. But a career needs training and experience.
- Earning money is the main purpose of a job. The main drive in a career is often the sense of fulfilment
- Reward for job is often limited to wage or salary. The reward in the case of a career can include healthcare, house, pension, holiday, promotion etc.
- Job relates to one employer and one period of employment. Career relates to multiple jobs under different employers.
How to develop one’s skills?
After defining the ideal career you seek, start thinking about various skills required to achieve your career goals. One should try to enhance his existing skills that are useful to the career of his choice. This can be achieved through on job experience or through formal training. Similarly, one also has to think about skills that he does not possess now and which can be useful for enhancing his career. Such skills have to be acquired either through on the job experience or through formal training.
If one is doubtful about the skills needed to excel in his chosen career one can ask other people who are shining in the career of your choice and act according to their advice.
If you are determined to excel in the career of your choice you should seek out a mentor who is willing to support and help you in building up your dream career. A person who is very senior to you in your career field and who has much experience and who is willing to support you will be the ideal mentor needed for you. If you approach such a person and express your desires there is a strong chance of that person accepting the request. Because being asked to become a mentor is a morale booster to all senior employees in any company.
Build industry network
After you have chosen your field of career, it will be good if you can meet the people who are known to you and who are working in the same field as you and make a network of contacts of similar personalities. This will help you to understand more about the requirements of your career and broaden your outlook about the career you have chosen.
If your current job is not in the field of the career option you have chosen, you can think about undergoing for an internship for a small period and build experience and contact in the chosen field of the industry. Internship will give you sufficient exposure to the career of your choice. It will also show your dedication and interest in working in the field of your choice.